Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sat Aug 30 12:52:19 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 02:04:37PM +0930, Rod Whitby wrote:
> Stroller wrote:
> > I thought the "standard" now was unlimited data plans.
> > You have my sympathies if you're not on an unlimited data plan, Ole,
> > but I would see unlimited data use as the long-term expectation of
> > OpenMoko projects.
>
> Please don't assume that everyone has unlimited data plans.  It is not
> as common in many parts of the world as it is in your part of the world.
>
> I expect the IMAP client on my openmoko phone to be able to download all
> my email for offline reading, deleting, and replying on the bus with
> *no* internet connectivity, and then sync all those changes seamlessly
> to the server as soon as I get the next internet connection.

This sounds like a reasonable way to handle it.

But the email traffic I have to handle on the road is really rather low
volume. My idea of VoIP notification certainly isn't very useful for
someone who gets several mails an hour. In this case IMAP-idle or with
interval checking is probably better. I was more looking for a way to
pass signals to my mobile without having to pay for it.

> > For £20 this includes "unlimited" texts and one of the
> > following free "bolt-ons": unlimited texts (WTF?), unlimited O2 to O2
> > Calls, unlimited Web Bolt On, unlimited weekend calls, unlimited
> > landline calls, unlimited Wi-Fi, 200 extra anytime minutes. https://
> > shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly

I don't have unlimited data plan. But if I assume 20 pound per month for
my mobile bill, I practically have unlimited data too. ;-)

Ole