OM2008.8, GPRS using multiplexing and GUI for Vodafone Live! in Mumbai

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 15:51:27 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am going by the instructions here:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GPRS#Option_1:_With_GSM_multiplexing_and_with_a_GUI

I have installed the gsm0710muxd and everything seems to have gone fine.
Now, using the Services GUI, I am not able to get GPRS working.  First, the
settings I have for my connection

user:
password:
(both are supposed to be blank)
APN: portalnmms
Primary gateway IP: 10.10.1.100
Port:9401

On my FR, my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets now read like
this:

# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
*         *       ""                  *

The last line of my /etc/ppp/peers/gprs file reads
user *

(should this be user "" or user "*" ?)

as advised here:
http://freeyourphone.de/portal_v1/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=295(replaced
"PUT_USERNAME_IN_HERE")

I'm using *99# as the default dial number, as it isn't clear what Vodafone
Live! uses in Mumbai, India.

Ross Barkman (http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html) says the settings should
be user: guest, secret: guest.  However, it doesn't seem accurate.

I don't know whether the gateway IP is to be inserted in the routing table,
and if so, how the port is to be specified.  From the first couple of
attempts with the scripts and GUI, GPRS seemed to work but actually it
didn't.  Now, I only get a FAILED status report in the GUI.

Can anybody tell me if I need to modify the pap/chap-secret files, or the
gprs file, or the dialled number?  If this starts to work, I can start using
the FR as my daytime (office only) phone plus the GPS.