Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 07:44:31 CEST 2008

On 30 Aug 2008, at 11:52, Ole Kliemann wrote:
>> I expect the IMAP client on my openmoko phone to be able to
>> download all
>> my email for offline reading, deleting, and replying on the bus with
>> *no* internet connectivity, and then sync all those changes
>> seamlessly
>> to the server as soon as I get the next internet connection.
>
> This sounds like a reasonable way to handle it.
>
> But the email traffic I have to handle on the road is really rather
> low
> volume. My idea of VoIP notification certainly isn't very useful for
> someone who gets several mails an hour. In this case IMAP-idle or with
> interval checking is probably better. I was more looking for a way to
> pass signals to my mobile without having to pay for it.

I meant to ask in my previous email:

Anyone know what is the overhead of IMAP-idle?
(or however interval checking on IMAP works?)

Let's I have 50kb of email per day in one email account, 120kb in
another. 500kb in another, if you like. How much would it cost (in
kb) firstly just to download that over GPRS, and secondly to check
for mail every X minutes through the day.

Stroller.