Om2008.8 and FSO

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Sun Aug 31 11:05:21 CEST 2008

On 8/31/08 enaut wrote:
> Richy schrieb:
> > > From: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FSO
> > >
> > > "This distribution will be merged with the 2008.8 distribution
> (or its
> > > successor) when the system is stable enough. For more information
> see
> > > http://www.freesmartphone.org and http://trac.freesmartphone.org
> . "
> > >
> I think one of the moko team mentioned that they will not be merged...

No this is totally not the case. In fact, FSO isn't even a distribution.
Let me quote Mickey:

   "In practice, this means once the framework has reached a certain
   extent (see http://trac.freesmartphone.org for our tasks, issues, and
   milestones), we can expect it to be seen in all kinds of products,
   likely including further releases of the ASU."

It's the framework / middleware project that will provide the foundation
for future Om releases (probably the first will be 2009).

FSO is also, BTW, designed to be generic enough to be used for more than
just Om. But make no mistake, future versions of Om will use this
framework. We've invested lots of time and money into it.

   -Sean