saving and restoring GPS data for U-blox chip quicker startup

Abdelrazak Younes younes at lyx.org
Sun Aug 31 11:06:37 CEST 2008

Fabian Henze wrote:
> On Saturday 30 August 2008 at 10:59:29, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>> A better solution would be to just configure the Ublox to send the
>> ephemerises and almanacs as soon as they are received. A simple daemon
>> would watch for these messages and store them appropriately when they
>> are received.
>
> Why would this be a better solution?

Because it is safer and cleaner to save things as soon as they are received.

> I dont see any benefits over the "save on
> gpsd exit" or "save on 'gps off' in settings menu" method, except that just
> another daemon steals CPU time and consumes RAM.

Of course such solution should be integrated in an already running gps
daemon. gpsd already decodes some messages, it could be improved to
retrieve and save those additional aid messages. No more RAM would be
needed. I don't plan to use gpsd so my solution would be a replacement
for it. Such daemon shouldn't consume more than one megabyte of RAM,
actually I would say much less than a megabyte.

Abdel.