Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sun Aug 31 14:30:23 CEST 2008

With my prepaid I have to pay traffic for every 10kb at 24ct/mb.

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:44:31AM +0100, Stroller wrote:
> I meant to ask in my previous email:
> Anyone know what is the overhead of IMAP-idle?

Probably very low as long as the connection is stable. Every reconnect
due to connection loss will cost 10kb. This won't happen so frequently -
let's say in average every 30 minutes. This will be about 3.5 euro per
month with my card. Pretty cheap indeed.

Just one issue. Right now muxing does not work with 2008.8. Another
issue: even when muxing will work in the future, I don't know whether my
provider supports both a voice and a data channel open.

> (or however interval checking on IMAP works?)

With interval checking I assume the traffic per check not more than
10kb. If you check every 5 minutes - which is not what I call `immediate
notification' - it will cost 20 euro per month. Just for the checking.
o_0

If you want to get closer to `immediate notification' and check every 3
minutes, costs go up to 35 euro a month.

So if I get IMAP-idle working in a stable way and with muxing, it's the
thing to go with. Interval checking is no choice at all.

Ole