Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sun Aug 31 14:46:38 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:30:23PM +0000, Ole Kliemann wrote:
> With my prepaid I have to pay traffic for every 10kb at 24ct/mb.
>
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:44:31AM +0100, Stroller wrote:
> > I meant to ask in my previous email:
> > Anyone know what is the overhead of IMAP-idle?
>
> Probably very low as long as the connection is stable. Every reconnect
> due to connection loss will cost 10kb. This won't happen so frequently -
> let's say in average every 30 minutes. This will be about 3.5 euro per
> month with my card. Pretty cheap indeed.
>
> Just one issue. Right now muxing does not work with 2008.8. Another
> issue: even when muxing will work in the future, I don't know whether my
> provider supports both a voice and a data channel open.
>
> > (or however interval checking on IMAP works?)
>
> With interval checking I assume the traffic per check not more than
> 10kb. If you check every 5 minutes - which is not what I call `immediate
> notification' - it will cost 20 euro per month. Just for the checking.
> o_0
>
> If you want to get closer to `immediate notification' and check every 3
> minutes, costs go up to 35 euro a month.
>

> So if I get IMAP-idle working in a stable way and with muxing, it's the
> thing to go with. Interval checking is no choice at all.

Ah, I'm stupid. I calculated for a 24hour day. It could even be more
reduced as not always GPRS is required. I may be at home at USB or have
Wifi.

So with 6 hours on the road and 3 minutes checking I am at 8 euro per
month just for the checking. For a low volume mailbox this would be
still quite a waste.