alsa-mixer settings - how to setup best?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 16:16:52 CEST 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008, Christian Adams wrote:
> moinmoin
>
> can someone explain what the various switches/controllers found in
> alsa-mixer are for / how they have to be set for various use-cases .. ?

There's a block diagram of the Wolfson chip with many of the ALSA control
numbers on it at:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_audio_subsystem

The same page shows suggested routing for various scenarios, though the
gsmhandset.state supplied in the images doesn't follow this suggestion.

There's more info on the chip at:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/WM8753
I recommend reading its datasheet if you intend to do

> i for now am a little bit confused by the high number of possible
> settings .. which do i really need? which can be safely masked?

That depends entirely on what you're trying to do. Have a read of the docs
above. You may still be confused, but at least you'll be in a position to ask
more specific questions ;-)