Mofi on FR

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 19:54:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Christ van Willegen
<cvwillegen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Katrin Tomanek <katrin.tomanek at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to test mofi today to get my WIFI running. So, I installed mofi
> as
> > explained in the wiki (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Mofi, installation
> > through opkg).
> >
> > When starting mofi from a terminal, I get the following error:
> >
> > ---- snip ----
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/usr/lib/mofi/mofi_gui.py", line 30, in <module>
> >    import gtk
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
> 82,
> > in <module>
> >    init()
> > NameError: name 'init' is not defined
> >
> > ---- snap ----
> >
> > Any hints? What's wrong here?
>
> Edit the file /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py
> and change the call to init() to _init()
>
> HTH!
>
> Why doesn't somebody fix the charmed file in the repos?  This change has
also been recommended in the GPRS with GSM Multiplexing and GUI subsection
on the wiki.  What happens in a real-world scenario is people trying to use
vi on the phone's tiny screen estate, standing around wifi hotspots, if they
know they have to change init() to _init().  Finding line 82 is very
difficult unless you are a vi wizard.  The tiny letters on the keyboard (and
that's hoping it is raster's kbd, not the original one) make it even worse.