First impressions on new Android rootfs

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Wed Dec 3 06:36:04 CET 2008

Jim Ancona wrote:
> Cédric Berger wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 14:27, Gothnet <openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Improvements since the first release are evident, the graphics are now pretty
>>> glitch free where they used to occasionally flicker.
>>>
>>> However, since the last image I flashed, bluetooth has stopped working, I
>>> now just get a message saying "Unable to turn on Bluetooth".
>>>
>>> Wifi claims to turn on but fails to scan. Can't remember if this is better
>>> or worse than before.
>>> No keyboard, will attempt to find a way to install the one mentioned here:
>>>
>>> http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-td1583918
>>>
>>> Err... does anyone know if suspend/resume works yet?
>>>

>> - suspend/resume is known not work yet (at least not reliably).
>>

> Using Sean's new rootfs and his tracking kernel, suspend/resume does
> seem to work fairly well for me. I am seeing some spurious resumes, but
> I think that may be the GSM re-registration issue. I should apply the
> modem firmware upgrade, I guess.
>

>> - indeed bluetooth does not work anymore, but I guess it is because of
>> the newest kernel. I did not try it again with previous kernel though.
>> (anyway before I could scan/pair bluetooth but I could not do anything
>> more with it -file transfer, ...-).
>>

> Haven't tried bluetooth.

bluetooth is setup to work with the new andy-tracking kernel. They've
switched to using an rfkill switch which I didn't implement in the
2.6.26 kernel.

>> - wifi still does not work. It is acknowledged by Sean and he is
>> investigating on this.
>>

> Scan doesn't work. I was able to connect to an open network using the
> Add a Wi-Fi network option in settings. I was able to check email using
> Wi-fi. The browser crashes without a message.
>

>> - with latest kernel, for exemple, backlight brightness is not managed
>> anymore. (because of some kernel changes). I tried Sean's modification
>> :
>> ("You'll need to change /system/build.prop:
>> backlight.lcd=/sys/class/backlight/gta02-bl    ").
>> But I did not manage to get it work yet.

I forgot there is a permission setting in /init.rc that needs to be
changed as well. Essentially change pcf50633-bl to gta02-bl.

>> - Also Sean is working on integrating the software keyboard from Rui Castro .

Yep, I'm working with Rui to get this in.