[debian] gps still no solution

Sascha Wessel wessel at nefkom.net
Wed Dec 3 17:05:20 CET 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 04:00:00PM +0100, joakim at verona.se wrote:
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2008, 15:20 +0100 schrieb Davide Scaini:
> >> ...after installing new fso some weeks ago my gps stopped working...
> >> I installed all requested packages, fso-config-gta02, but no gps
> >> working (like previous versions...).
> >> I tried to downgrade but i have no idea what/where i have to download.
> >> I searched on wiki... checked all the possibilities and the frameworkd
> >> conf file...
> >> now: ogpsd comes with fso? ogpsd it's not packaged on debian (if it's
> >> something to be packaged)... with debian comes only gpsd but seems
> >> that fso dislikes it, and the config file mentions only ogpsd...
> >>
> >> I'm sure that someone uf you uses debian with gps... how in the
> >> hell??? ;-)
> >> with old fso???
> >> if i type
> >> cat /dev/ttySAC1 i have no output while when my gps worked i got lots
> >> of output...
> >
> > it works here. Are you testing it with zhone?
>
> I'm having the same experience.
> fso-gpsd used to work fine and now all of a sudden after upgrades it has
> refused to work for a while.

Hmm, I just reinstalled frameworkd and it works without problems.
Can you try the same?

1. backup
2. remove everything fso related
   $ dpkg -P fso-config-gta02 fso-frameworkd fso-frameworkd-wireless-glue fso-gpsd fso-sounds-openmoko-nonfree nodm gpsd
3. I got some warnings about non empty directories and removed them manually
4. install
   $ apt-get update
   $ apt-get install fso-frameworkd fso-frameworkd-wireless-glue fso-sounds-openmoko-nonfree fso-config-gta02
5. disbable frameworkd
   $ mv /etc/init.d/fso-frameworkd /etc/init.d/fso-frameworkd.backup
6. reboot
7. ssh and start screen with 3 windows (in this order):
   $ frameworkd # and wait some seconds
   $ /usr/share/doc/fso-frameworkd/examples/ogpsd_resource.py
   $ /usr/share/doc/fso-frameworkd/examples/ogpsd_signals.py
8. go outside for at least 10 minutes
9. check screen window 3

optional: strace the pid/fd (get them with `lsof | grep ttySAC1`)

Greetings,
Sascha