[Android] Converting a brick into a phone

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Thu Dec 11 01:36:09 CET 2008

Rui Castro wrote:
> So, my idea with my first message was to try to encourage people from
> the community (and from Openmoko too) to put a little effort to make
> Android stable in the Freerunner so that Openmoko and the community
> could benefict from having another alternative OS, in the SHORT term.

I understood this also in your first message (and I quite agree on what
you wrote). BTW I think that Openmoko guis should help in this only for
low level things (i.e. kernel) and mostly if the changes could affect
also the main Openmoko distro.
Instead I think that the community should move on to get another distro
(quite cool and with an endless level of possibilities and future
development, I should admit) working on our hardware.

Android shouldn't be the answer (I'd miss too much X :P), but I think
that must be an alternative. For getting this, I figure, that we should
place our efforts also in removing all the bad bits cited here (like any
possibility of remote control over our hardware by Google) and
optimizing the good ones for our phone.

So, finally, who can help and work with the Openmoko officially
supported projects should do that, but if you prefer to do other and you
have any knowledge to help the android port, I think, that you should
follow the Rui's words.

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/