[android] How can I configure WLAN and Bluetooth on Android/Freerunner

Jim Ancona jim at anconafamily.com
Thu Dec 11 21:10:56 CET 2008

이종국 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Android/Freerunner built by following the instructions
> described in
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Android#Building_the_Koolu_Android_Source.
> That is, I'm using a system image from Koolu, and the kernel from
> andy-tracking.
> Everything looks good until now. However, I can't configure Wi-Fi and
> Bluetooth with it. I wanted to key in each password for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
> When I tried to configure them, the keyboard invoked by the menu button
> wasn't activated because the configuration windows (asking for
> passwords) were positioned at the top-most layer.
>
> How can I use the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? Could you give me a hand?

First, please don't cross-post this type of question to multiple lists,
and it's best to prefix your subject line with [android] to make it easy
for people to filter.

You're right that Rui's keyboard doesn't yet work with modal dialogs in
Android, like those the Settings app uses for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
configuration. One workaround is to install qad-keyboard.apk, available
at http://code.google.com/p/netgents/downloads/list. With that keybaord
you can compose your text, hit the OK button to copy it to the
clipboard, then launch the dialog and use Android's long-press paste
menu to paste it into the field.

Having said all that, wi-fi doesn't seem to work with the current
source. Scanning has never worked, and while with one of Sean's earlier
builds if you entered your SSID into settings it would connect, that no
longer seems to work. I've played with a bit and haven't come up with a
solution.

I don't have a bluetooth device to try with it. You can try the keyboard
trick above and see how it works for you.

Best wishes,

Jim