case manufacturing

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Sat Dec 13 13:12:50 CET 2008

>    - The Freerunner doesn't have any buttons on its front. In addition to

i'd pretty much like to see at least some kind of 5-way rocker switch -- i
do not know how rakshat will implement an usb keyboard, but it might be a
way for hw freaks to do the same with some simple buttons only.

>    - Another problem that was resulted by the one above was that every
>    mockup I made looked either like the iPhone or a LG Prada (or like

i am comfortable with the current shape, looks a bit different.

>    - The last problem I came across was the thickness. Even if the bevels
>    around the display are removed (that makes about 3mm/0.12inch less),
> the phone is still very thick. But I don't think there is a way to get
> it smaller...

if i remember correctly it's not much thicker than eg the iphone -- but
the iphone has an rched back, getting thinner towards the sides.
withe current design (buttons and slots at the sides, back cover easily
removable) there's probably not much to be done about.

re the bevel i was rather concerned wheter there's only empty space behind
or if the hw requires them. it would be very nice if the edge between
display and casing could disappear or be lowered substantially