odd behavior of illume keyboard

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Dec 15 09:42:23 CET 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:11:50 +0100 Bernd Prünster <bernd.pruenster at gmail.com>
babbled:

> i want to add the beta (ß) character to my layout, but it it only works
> if i quote it to use the dict
>
> code:
> key 0 28 12  12
>   normal   ß "ß"
>   shift    ? question
> /code
> if i remove the quotes it doesn't send the character
> any help/suggestions?

correct. you need quotes if u define the key "output" as a STRING. otherwise
without quotes its a keysym (key symbol name). example:

Keysym | String
comma  | ","
period | "."
dollar | "$"
space  | " "

etc. - read up on x11 and keysyms for more info :) if the string is in quotes
this tells illume it's a string and needs conversion TO a keysym that x has. if
x has no keysym for that output string - it won't work at all.