Stage of GTA03 development?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Dec 18 16:52:51 CET 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:24:52 +0100 Michael Zanetti <michael_zanetti at gmx.net>
> babbled:
>
>> As It seems this thread is becoming more and more some sort of a whish-list,
>> I will put my 2ct here also:
>>
>> - Please don't add a camera: Has ever anyone made a picture with a mobile
>> phone camera that doesn't suck? Get a real camera if you want to make some
>> nice pictures! There is just one way to get a useful camera within a mobile
>> phone: Using very expensive optical lens and zooming technologies. But in
>> that case, I'd prefer to use the money for a 3G modem which brings me to the
>> next point in my whishlist.
>
> i have. and millions of japanese have. in japan the mobile is pretty much
> replacing the low-to-mid-end camera. for "happy time" snaps. why? their lenses
> and cameras are GOOD. 5+mpixel was available years ago.

What kind of camera are these phones replacing? Credit-card sized
cameras that indeed are as lousy as phone cameras are?

Note that it isn't merely a question of megapixels. More pixels
doesn't make the image better, if the sensor stays as small. Smaller
pixels create lots of noise, and have no dynamic range. You could
manufacture a 20 megapixel sensor small enough to go in a phone - no
problem for the factory. It'd be useless though.

It'd be nice if a camera is optional, at least. Some doesn't want to pay
for it, some want to use the camera where cameras aren't allowed. And
consider the market - this hacker's phone are for technically interested
people, most of who get a decent camera if they want to take pictures.

And of course, a pop-out camera leaves room that can be used for
something else. Such as room for several SD-cards, perhaps even that
secondary SIM option. More SDcards is good - one for the OS and one
that can be changed with the system running. (Or RAID, for the specially
interested :-) Two SIMs are what business users want - one for
private use and one for company use.

>> - 3G connectivity: Although it is very expensive, I think we _really_ need
>> this one. I know so many people who would like to buy a Freerunner, but they
>> don't do so because of the missing UMTS connectivity.

Nice to have, and why so expensive? If the problem is small series,
cooperate with some other phone manufacturer and have them resell a
small portion of their large shipment of 3G chips.

>> - The rest could stay just as it is in GTA 02. Im perfectly happy with it.
>> Perhaps the slow Glamo could be exchanged... But afaik this is done already...

Yes, it is necessary to update the whole screen in a timely manner. Full
screen
video ought to be ok, and this would speed up the GUI in general too.
Helge Hafting