Default IP Address on All Distributions

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Thu Dec 18 20:01:11 CET 2008

Am 18.12.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Sargun Dhillon:

> Most Linux users, or most users that this device is aimed at are
> intelligent enough to do a
> "ip addr add 192.168.0.200/32 dev usb0"
> "ip route add 192.168.0.202/32 dev usb0"
> This will only make two addresses on your network inaccessible. Then
> you can SSH into it, and change the IP address. This takes a whole 5
> minutes! It'll make you miserable to not have connectivity, I
> understand, but just handle it.

I read the discussion as the request to avoid the situation completely
(spend 0 minutes) instead of handling it. Saves 10000 people 5 minutes
each, i.e. 34.7 days. And, you have forgot that learning how to do
that takes more than 5 minutes if you are not an experienced sysadmin.

> We've finally standardized on a set of IPs, and -everyone- is happy
> with it, except a few individuals who don't know how to use their
> system.

Hm, I always thought that the FR is aimed at the *mass market* Not for
the 0.01% of individuals (i.e. PC users worldwide) who know by heart
how to set IP routes...

Just my 2ct.

Nikolaus