Stage of GTA03 development?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Dec 18 23:34:18 CET 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:08:09 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at computer.org> babbled:

i'm taking usage pattern into account - and when i'm @ wifi.. i also have a
keyboard, screen and "real machine" to use... so if i want to check
something/google for it or whatever - i use something more comfortable. when
i'm walking down the street and go "crap... what was X again? i forgot" and i
want to check... or i need a map of where i am and where i have to go... or
need to check to see if the competitors store is selling for less... there is
no wifi. there is no lan. there *IS* 3g - even at the beach. and the park. and
pretty much everywhere i go 99% of the time... there is  3g.

maybe 3g is just better serviced in a large city like sydney (4+million people
spread over an area about 70kmx120km). but wifi is not an option at all here -
never will be. all net connections have transfer quotas (unless you pay a small
fortune for yours and then you'd be charging for access to cover the cost). no
one opens up their wifi because they open up free access to a limited quota'd
resource they pay for. and that won't improve - look at the usa - the ISPs are
going in the direction of quotas too. 3g is quota'd too - but it works
everywhere. and the quota is on the account i pay for. :)

2g is charged by the kb at insane rates. ($1.65/mb is three's going rate for 2g
data - whereas their 3g data rates are more like $0.0068/mb. now you know why
3g is so important? 2g data is 241 TIMES more expensive than 3g. and three
offer the best datarates in .au).