want your FR to start faster console based apps? ;-)

Yaroslav Halchenko site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com
Fri Dec 19 16:51:50 CET 2008

ok -- I've become annoyed by the start time of some apps which I do run
in terminal (e.g. screen).

I've tried to run them on another ARM based beast -- my router -- and it
starts immediately...

ok -- a bit of stracing to figure out that some considerable time is
spent processing ... /etc/termcap

opkg remove termcap

and now it takes a second instead of 10 to start screen ;-) it might be
that the base image doesn't have it installed but I've been running FDOM +
multitude of upgrades, so may be installation of termcap some how went under
the hood?

So decided to share ;-)

Do we ever need /etc/termcap? may be so for some elderly software which
doesn't make use of curses... actually description of termcap-compat
package in Debian (Debian of FR doesn't install it obviousely)

 The termcap-compat package provides the libtermcap.so.2 and /etc/termcap
 files which are required to run non-Debian, binary-only termcap-based
 programs. Since libc6-based programs are hopefully "modern" enough to be
 linked with ncurses (or slang), this package only provides a libc5-based
 libtermcap library.

So I doubt that we would need it, and there are no other packages which depend
on it -- so it should be safe to remove it

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]