Default IP Address on All Distributions

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 20 13:26:01 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 13:15 +0100, Alexander Mueller wrote:
> Helge Hafting schrieb:
> > Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> >> 169.254.0.0/16 is probably more appropriate because this range is assigned
> >> to link-local addresses.
> >
> > Sure. And if we go that way, why not use the proper way of setting a
> > link-local address?
> > * Pick a random address
> > * check that it is free (arp, ping,...)
> > * take it.
> >
> > That has a good chance of working, even for those who
> > routinely connect two phones to the same pc at the same time.
> >
> > Helge Hafting
> This would make it way harder to communicate with the freerunner.
> For now you know you can reach it at 192.168.0.202 and most of the
> documentations builds on this. So figuring out the ip address FR has
> chosen is way harder, especially for newbies.
>
> Alex Mueller

Not if its handled right.  I am not feeling generous to the "bad word
deleted" who chose this address - just flashed 2008.12.  Everytime I
flash the freerunner, I have to modify things to get it to behave nicely
with my network.

Still, its not just the freerunner, but big companies like netgear who
also choose inappropriate defaults ;(

BillK