[OM 2008.12] Enlightenment Drop Shadow Performance

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Dec 22 23:46:33 CET 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:54:42 -0500 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us> babbled:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:23:42 +1100, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 03:07:45 -0500 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us>
> > babbled:

> > on
> > much
> > being

> > the
> > shadows.
> > So,

> >> I've seen Enlightenment running between 18% and 30% most of the time
> >> lately, with SHR.  And I just discovered I am able to drop it to 3%-5%
> > and
> >> bring it back through a single change:  I've been tweaking some Oxygen
> >> icons and using them under SHR -  256x256 png versions.  (Why?  Well, I
> >> like my icons big, but I hate them pixellated)  Anyway, changing from
> > the
> >> 256x256 Oxygen icons to the 86x86 SHR icons dropped me from 30% to 5%,
> >> restoring the big Oxy's brought me right back to 30%.
> >
> > icons include battery too?
>
> I'm just replacing the 'desktop' icons in the launcher, using
> Settings->Look->IconTheme.  I had expected that it would take longer to
> initially display the launcher, with much larger png images to load and
> scale, but thought that once they were loaded and scaled it would perform
> essentially the same as smaller icons enlarged - literally the ONLY thing I
> do is select Oxygen vis SHR in "Icon Theme" and HUP enlightenment, and with
> the Oxys it sits there "idling" at an average about 27% CPU...

that's bizarre as that would imply its redrawing the icons too (evas scales on
the fly - as images are not loaded and then fixed at a size - they can resize
anytime anywhere just based on object properties so the scale is done as it
draws. for things like GL or when things are accelerated - this is fast and
what you want. in software it's a cost. i have an experimental scale cache
patch here that puts in a cache of alreadys-caled data if used often enough...
but the problem is.. it shouldnt make a difference unless its updating the area
where the icons are... and that shouldnt be happening... unless something
totally bizarre has gone on... and thats what i'm concerned about - the bit i
dont know about (the redraws)).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com