[QtExtended] Screen Lock -> Suspend

Martin Bernreuther martinbern at web.de
Wed Dec 31 12:14:12 CET 2008

Hello,
I'm using the Neo Freerunner with Qt Extended 4.4.2
(http://moko.mwester.net/download/uImage-gta02-g291a9d50_mwester-stable.bin +
 http://other.lastnetwork.net/OpenMoko/qtextended-4.4.2-gta02-rootfs-release-working-with-SystemRingTones.jffs2)
as my daily phone. Carrying the FR in a pocket, the screen lock application is well suited to avoid unintentional phone calls etc.
BUT it will still allow the display be turned on, since the touchscreen will be touched all the time in a pocket.
And carrying the FR in your pocket with a highlighted display might not be the best prerequisite for a long operating time.
The "On Battery" Power Management settings (after booting it seems to be always be "Plugged in", but that's another story)
"Dim light", "Display off" and "Suspend" won't get activated (or only for a short time) unless you wait with the FR in your hand.
The key+lock looks fancy, but it might be more functional to turn off the display (or even suspend) after the lock
and keep the display turned off, when touching a certain pattern on the screen (or the Power button with suspend).
(On the desktop, the screensaver was a screen/energy saver once, but sometimes uses more CPU cycles than a working computer today...)
The screen lock application seems not to support a "password" protection. For a touchscreen device, the password entry
should maybe be replaced with a secret gesture or pattern (maybe like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(game)),
but I don't see the necessity for such a feature, since the FR shouldn't be accessible by someone else.
(And if it's stolen the protection is too weak without crypto FS etc anyways).

I still didn't find the button combination to suspend yet. Suspending the FR manually after use, I would't need
a screen lock application any more. Is there a replacement application, just to initiate a suspend?
(But I'm also not sure, if I can trust the suspend mode, since I once noticed a missed call with the FR being suspended.)

What button combination will initiate suspend for FR/Qt Extended?
(Power button will show a menu with "Restart Qt Extended", "Restart Device", "Shutdown Qt Extended", "Shutdown Device", but no "Suspend Device"
 and the AUX button will bring me to the Task Manager Favorites)

(How) Can I customize the screen lock application to do the job?
(Didn't find this entry in the configuration section.)

Thanks,
	Martin

P.S.:
Where can I find more Qt Extended documentation other than the "Help"-application installed and the FAQs at
http://qtextended.org/modules/xoopsfaq/ (BTW http://qtextended.org/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=3#33 link is broken),
http://trolltech.com/developer/faqs/qtopia or http://doc.trolltech.com/qtextended4.4/ (which is for developers)
(How about a section "Further documentation" at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia_/_Qt_Extended_on_FreeRunner?)
Martin Bernreuther	martinbern at web.de