Mono development in openmoko

Schmidt András asch at freemail.hu
Fri Feb 1 11:00:00 CET 2008

Hi Juan,

 From technology side Java and C# is so similar that they should do the
same performance. It is only Microsoft who is hyping that C# performs
better. The only difference I know and has performance effect is the
presence of structures in C# but not many programs would make an
advantage of that.

The performance of a specific implementation is a different question...
I have no clue how Cacao compares to Mono. It would worth measuring...
I have some experience with both languages as I am developing a map
viewer application (http://yamamap.wiki.sourceforge.net/) that has a
Mono and a Java version as well. The software is intended to work on
OpenMoko.

Both Mono and Java are available for OpenMoko. These are my own experiences:

Mono:
I have no phone yet, but David Roetzel has tried to run the yama
application on the phone and it worked. In the mail there is a link to
the original post, where Cliff Brake announces that the mono framework
is ported for OpenMoko:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-December/012125.html

Java:
The Jalimo (https://wiki.evolvis.org/jalimo/index.php/Main_Page) project
addresses porting Java SE to the phone. The JVM is Cacao and the
classpath is the GNU classpath (Sebastian Mancke has written some
guidelines for Java development on OpenMoko:
http://lists.evolvis.org/pipermail/jalimo-info/2008-January/000028.html).
Cacao is compatible with Java 6 binaries and the GNU classpath is aiming
the Java5 classpath. There are some details missing yet but it is
possible to get a general purpose application that works with them.
Latest versions of Yama works with GNU classpath but it was not tested
on a GTA01 phone yet.

So both Mono and Java is available on the phone. What I wanted to
suggest is to consider using Java in case you know both technologies.

I am so curious, may I ask you what are you planning to develop for the
OpenMoko platform?

Hope I could help you

Schmidt András