Mono development in openmoko

Schmidt András asch at freemail.hu
Fri Feb 1 13:41:47 CET 2008

Hi, Juan!

Juan Luis Prieto Martinez wrote:
> Hello Schmidt,
Actually in hungarian we write our last name first :-). So my first name
is András. I shoud have written it in english as András Schmidt. I just
mentioned it because I found this combination funny :-).
> For me it is not a problem to use Java in stead of Mono, I use to
> develop in Java but my curiosity for Mono is only to learn it, just that.
>
> About what I want to develop I am not sure at all, may be I should
> start joining an existent project at least to learn how to develop for
> this device. Actually I am usign the emulator because I don´t have a
> neo either.
When developing in Java or .NET there is not much difference between a
PC or a PDA. You have to design your UI to be usable on a small touch
screen without a stylus. You also have to restrict yourself to use less
resources of course. The APIs are the same as on PC (the only difference
I know is the .NET binding for mokoui) and also the same binaries should
work. So I am just testing the application on my PC. And as testers have
experienced it just works on the phone.

The project I have initiated is a map viewer application for the
OpenMoko platform. Currently I am developing it alone. If you find it
interesting you could join the project. There are many nice features
that can be implemented if you like. You can also compile the OSM map of
your area or even a Garmin map. I would be very happy if you found it
interesting :-).
Check it! http://yamamap.wiki.sourceforge.net/ and
http://sf.net/projects/yamamap - The source code can be checked out from
the sourceforge SVN and there is a working demo (with a piece of OSM
map) on sourceforge's download. There are not many howto's for map
compilation and development environment setup (they are Eclipse projects
on SVN and they depend on apache command line parser jar) yet. But I am
plannig to create them (next week if you are interested).

For the Mono-Java question: In my opinion the .NET language is a little
bit better (structures and maybe ) than Java. But Java has a great open
source community and many tools available. Working with Eclipse and with
Monodevelop is chalk and cheese. That's why I prefer Java to .NET.

I have no OpenMoko phone yet and wanted to see my program working with a
real GPS. That's why I have ported the application to Mono. But it is
too much work (but it works! I can send you instructions if you have a
PDA with GPS a recent WinME) to maintain two versions of the code that's
why I will abandone the Mono version even if that means it will not work
on Windows PDA's.

If you do something different in mono and you have a Windows based PDA
you can compile it on Linux too. If you are interested in this there is
some instruction here:
(http://yamamap.sourceforge.net/documentation-html.html#SECTION00542000000000000000).

Anyway next week you can contact me on jabber (asch at jabbim.cz - can
contact with gtalk) or MSN (asch at freemail.hu) if you like. I will not be