support for using yyyy-mm-dd (2008-01-31) date format in Wiki and elsewhere

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Mon Feb 4 22:32:28 CET 2008

richard5 at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> How about instead of worrying about the way it's encoded we just write it
> January
> 1, 2008.  I think that's pretty much standard.  People can get confused
> about
> 2008-07-06 as much as they can 06-07-2008.

No, they cannot. That is always, always year-month-day. It is an ISO
standard, is used in many countries (see the Wikipedia link in the OP),
and has been standard that way (maybe not de jure, but widely used) for
at least thirty years. The other is very commonly used both ways, split
between the US and other parts of the world.

However, if you want, in any pages you write, to use the longer
MonthName day, year format, as you say, that is also understandable
and unambiguous.