tangoGPS, a new gps & mapping software for the Neo

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:37:09 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 2:35 AM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote tangoGPS, a small but fast gps and mapping software for
> Openmoko/Neo.
>
> It uses openstreetmap.org maps, downloading them on demand and caching
> them. You can drag the map, zoom in and out and see your current
> position and track if a gps signal is available.

That's really good for an 0.1 version!  It is indeed small and fast.
I like it!  Now if we just had GPRS working so as to download maps on
the go...

On Feb 4, 2008 6:08 AM, Christopher Earl <earlc8451 at clarkstate.edu> wrote:
> May i suggest a button to A) stop trails and b) always auto center/follow. Good work though

Auto-center could be a checkbox or toggle-button.  Sometimes you want
to explore the map; other times you want to see where you are
continuously, without having to interact with it at all.  If you drag
the map too far, it should automatically toggle into the off state, so
you can explore the map without interference; then you just have to
toggle it back on again to jump instantly back to the current
position.

I also notice a smearing effect that is probably caused by rapidly
repainting the same tile during dragging (the tile gets painted into
its new position, but the previous position was not erased, nor
covered up by another tile, so you see the edges of it, still there).
It is distracting and takes a second to be repainted correctly again
after the dragging stops.  But I'm impressed that the dragging itself
is otherwise so smooth.