Bike power (Re: solar power)

Schmidt András asch at freemail.hu
Mon Feb 11 01:04:34 CET 2008

Today we were talking about new generation of portable personal
computers (yes, that is OpenMoko :-) with friends. Our idea was to use
it as cyclocomputer (That idea has already appeared on the wiki or in
the list somewhere). We were wondering whether it would be possible to
charge the phone using a dynamo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo).
The dynamo uses the energy of the woman/man who rides the bike. It would
be very useful on long nomad bike tours where we don't have any other
power source. We did not compare the output of a dynamo to the charging
current of a cell-phone yet, it is just an idea.

<fun>
I have another futuristic idea :-). It has no name yet... It is a
chemical power generator that generates DC using ATP from blood (the
power source of the muscles). Installing this device in our body would
equip us with some plugs that could be used directly for powering these
devices. It is two in one: prevents you from the problem of discharged
accumulators and also prevents you from getting overweighted :-).
</fun>

Happy hacking!