Access Linux Platform SDK released

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Tue Feb 12 11:16:28 CET 2008

Sébastien Lorquet schrieb:
> This one is based on GTK
>
> http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9619/access-linux-platform-sdk-released/
>
> What do you think of this?
>
> I'm worried about interoperability. There are a number of different
> Linux platforms now, but nothing guarantees applications will be easily
> portable across them. So I feel everyone is reinventing the wheel for
> every application! Is this really the case?

Looks like it and the signs are that it is not really getting better...
LiMo gets more and more traction which is also rumored to use GTK+ but
is so far the worst commercial player concerning open source
relationship - or did anyone here see LiMo members around?
Then there is Android - not exactly GTK+ but aiming at Linux mobile
phones. Then there is LiPS. And now there is Nokia buying Trolltech and
additionally having Maemo on their side. And a little off from the
complete platform/GUI there are all those standardisation bodies that
want to push their standards for various reasons.

So far the fragmentation is growing and currently I do not see any signs
that those competing commercial entities have any will to overcome their
business competition and sit together for a second.

I think the biggest problem currently is that all the players that want
to set their mark in this territory want as well to set their claims
with the technology or standard they are proposing. The Linux mobile
market is still open, in contrast to the Linux desktop. And it is less
complex than a desktop so even moderate companies can define their own
"standard", which they did. And now they want to make it "the" standard
so that everyone in the future will have to buy their stuff or at least
have to use their standard.

This is not very productive, leads to fragmentation and does not help
many - only the shareholders of the lucky winner of that fight (and luck
is meant literally, this is a game of luck or have you seen the better
one win in recent years? I just way Win.... :)

> seb
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535