GTA02 Battery Capacity (Was: Re: More about the GTA02)

Kyle Bassett kylebassett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 08:38:15 CET 2008

I have been following the "Suspended Mode" thread in the kernel ML and they
have made amazing progress within the last week.  As GTA02A5 currently
stands, a "cold" suspend mode (just GSM in standby awaiting incoming
call/sms), could result in >20 days of standby!

For those technical people on this list, they have gotten GTA02A5 in suspend
using ~2.07mA @ 3.7v (fully charged batt).  If the GTA02 will have a 1200mAh
battery, that's ~24 days of suspend runtime in a perfect world.  The goal is
set around 1mA-2mA of suspend current draw, with best case scenario suspend
time of ~50 days (sure beats 4 hours... :-P  ).  There are also issues such
as internal battery discharge, ~30% over 90 days for one of the packs that
is being considered, which will reduce the final suspend runtime available.

Currently, work continues attempting to shave even more power consumption
from a sleeping Freerunner.  Individual power consumption of the different
internal devices is still taking place, that way any user can approximate
their battery lifetime (but each internal device has a few different states,
making this a tedious task).  In the very near future, we should see some
numbers coming in about the "talk" runtime, once some GSM power state issues
are resolved.

There is talk about pushing startup power control of the internal devices
(wifi, bt, gps, mmc, etc.) to user level, as every user may or may not want
certain devices available at bootup/all the time (availability vs.
duration).

It's nice to have some good news, everyone keep up the good work!

-Kyle