VoIP+IAX Program Theory for OM

Meadhbh S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Thu Feb 21 22:47:13 CET 2008

Hey Kyle...

Yes.. this is a basic "convergence" function. I worked at Divitas
Networks last year trying to make this happen on WinMoblie and
Symbian phones. Sadly, I was unsuccessful in getting them to work on
a Linux Solution, so I had to do all my Linux based VoIP
experimentation on my own time, though I've been working exclusively
in the SIP/SRTP solution space.

There's a lot of flexibility in this kind of solution.

For one, you don't really need a POTS phone number connected to your
VoIP system, you can use it as a complete net-bearer system using IAX
or SIP.

You could then add an IPCSP (IP Communications Service Provider) to
link the POTS phone number to your asterisk box. This is sort of what
Skype does with Skype-In / Skype-Out, but their network is closed and
you have to wait for them to port their client to various platforms :-(.

And if you wanted to have a lot of fun, you could even roam between
VoIP and cell. This is essentially what the carriers do with UMA, and
it's what Divitas did, though uptake on their product has been pretty
slow.

Several folks are in this game.... I've been looking at Mozilla's ZAP
project recently, and "under the hood" on the client I can't imagine
rewriting a media framework given that gStreamer seems to work quite
nicely.

-cheers!
-M.