VoIP+IAX Program Theory for OM

Jeremiah Flerchinger jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:45:50 CET 2008

I think there would be more compatibility across devices & networks with
a SIP based client than an IAX.  Asterisk supports both, although I not
sure of the benefits of using one versus the other.

I previously suggested looking into LinPhone since it is a GTK solution
that is the basis for PhoneGaim & several other solutions.  I'm not sure
I like the idea of Mozilla's Zap if it requires all the overhead of
running Mozilla.

Right now I use the Gizmo Project server (without the Gizmo client) for
handling of all my SIP calls.  I use GrandCentral to get a local POTS
number (and a number local to my parents), voicemail I can check from
the internet or any phone, and forward calls to both my cellphone & my
SIP phone for free.  If someone has a better setup that doesn't require
a land-line & still allows POTS calls, I'm happy to hear it.

I don't see running my own Asterisk server being that much more
beneficial to my needs.  My dream is to have a freerunner that would
default to SIP when attached to a wifi network and switch to the GSM
network when wifi is not available.