Unbutu mobile

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Wed Feb 27 00:48:48 CET 2008

Ortwin Regel wrote:
> Where do you draw the line? The Freerunner should be at least at the
> lower end of that spectrum.

Well, yes and no.
OpenGL 3D is by far not the standard in mobile devices these days and
will probably not be any time soon. 2GB and more of internal storage
(harddisk equivalent) is also quite uncommon. 256MB RAM could be argued
for but anything more seems unlikely - for the near future. Devices like
this IMHO suck too much power for being really mobile. If you can
recharge them every few hours of usage, maybe.
Well, this is my view on this - maybe I am a littel conservative.

But as long as manufacturers are looking into single core solutions for
mobile phones to save $10 for the second modem CPU core, 64MB of flash
already being unusual and 128MB of RAM almost luxury, I think that those
MID devices can not be considered targets for something like a general
purpose mobile phone Linux platform.
The GTA devices are *very* well equipped...

Cheers
  nils

--
kernel concepts GbR      Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48  Fax: +49-271-771091-19