Virtual QWERTY Keyboards to be used with Fingers...

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Fri Feb 29 17:35:50 CET 2008

Without a doubt it's slower then standard-qwerty if you take only the
non-capital non-special chars.
The biggest problem with qwerty is, that you simply don't have the space to
make it usable on the neo in non-landscape mode.
Apple has a really good and efficient design for their qwerty keyboard on a
much bigger screen without a high bezel, and as also Gustavo mentioned it's
not really good usable (that's my personal experience, too). Also they use
about 50% of the whole screen for the keyboard what (imho) sucks.

What you're talking about already exists - the qtopia guis have such a
predictive qwerty keyboard that works - maybe it's possible for you to give
it a try or find a video.

I'm still the opinion that qwerty isn't possible and it also isn't nice.
I'll finish my own try, let's see how good it will be.
Of course it's great to have multiple solutions, so openmoko has the chance
to get the best mobile input method.
If my design works and the people like it it would of course be possible to
have prediction and other cool features, too, but that's not planned yet. My
goal is it to have all needed chars, usable with fingers, without wasting
80% of the screen (like the multitap-pad does for example), and to be still
fast.
Imho this is already possible - enter currently needs about 30% of the
screen for input, is really fast for 1-finger-touchscreen-input, and it has
144 possible keys.