what's not functional?

Nick Guenther kousue at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 05:42:38 CET 2008

On 1/14/08, Mark Arvidson <sagacis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> If your usage is for North America, be aware that the Neo as it is offered
> now does not include support for the 850MHz band, so you will only be able
> to use the 1900MHz in these parts.
>
> The battery life is 3-4 hours, and the phone is best charged turned on and
> plugged into a Linux computer's USB port.  My particular device only
> recognizes the sim card every other boot and often forgets to tell me if
> somebody is calling (they drop straight to voicemail).  Some of this may be
> improved with the latest modem flash.
>
> The basic hardware platform seems solid enough (other than power management
> issues).  The problems I am seeing seem to be software related, so if the
> openmoko software is not required in your application, you might have some
> luck.  I have enjoyed writing some small bits of software for openmoko, but
> still cannot use it as a primary phone.
>
> Some claim that Qtopia works well on the device.  I haven't tried it
> recently enough to comment.

I use QTopia and it is functional enough to be my main phone--except
for the battery life (which runs to 5 hours pretty consistently for
me). In my day to day existence I'm around a lot of USB ports, and I
have a portable USB charger so battery life is not such a huge issue.
But yeah, besides the battery life everything works. The next step is
"works well" which hasn't been reached yet.