New to OpenMoko

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Thu Jan 17 16:22:43 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:03:01PM +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Well, first, it will be less of a decision, but rather something like survival
> of the fittest. Second, compiled languages are fine for performance
> critical stuff. Coding application logic in a scripting language makes
> much more sense to me. At the end of the day, efficiency at creation
> time can matter more than efficiency at run time. I expect this to be
> an important factor in the future -- if not already.

Please!

For example, the dialer logic for phone numbers has to be scriptable.
How can it possibly know which numbers are long distance?  What if
I have a long-distance plan that works by dialing through another
number and getting dialtone, but only if I'm in an area that is not
long-distance to my home area code? What about how to decide whether
to dial over the cell network or over VOIP (SIP or IAX), based on
whether the ping I sent my VOIP provider a minute ago succeeded?

All of this is going to want scripting, and that's just for the dialer app
(though it may be one of the most complex sets of rules).