OpenMoko on hx4700

Sébastien Lorquet squalyl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:02:19 CET 2008

2008/1/18, pHilipp Zabel <philipp.zabel at gmail.com>:

> Hi Sébastien,
>
> On Jan 18, 2008 11:58 AM, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I managed to build OpenMoko with MokoMakefile for hx4700 (make setup,
> change
> > machine to hx4700 in local.conf, make openmoko-devel-image, all went
> fine).
> > Then I tried to run it.
> > I lauched the kernel with haret, and booted from an ext2 256 MB SD card
> (a
> > rootdelay option is needed on the kernel command line)
> >
> > So, this gives me a wince-openmoko dual boot :)
> >
> > With the 624 MHz pxa270, the speed is fine, kinetic scolling works like
> > charm, and the whole UI is very reactive :)
>
> Congratulations.
>
> > but...
> >
> > The problem is, hx4700 has no GSM modem, while openmoko keeps searching
> for
> > a network.
>
> I think it is the openmoko-dialer2 doing that.

I edited the file /etc/matchbox/session or  something like that and removed
the gsm applet.  This is now ok :)

> So I get a full list of status messages at the bottom of the window, that
> > are very annoying. Do you have any idea to remove them? I tried to stop
> > /etc/init.d/gsmd, but it's not running. I guess I have to stop a gsm
> status
> > applet, but I don't know how to do this.
> > Here is an example: http://www.yaronet.com/mirari/BQ69 : "Not searching"
> > blocks displayed at the bottom of the screen.
> >
> > Do you have any idea on how to map the hx4700 power button to the
> openmoko
> > shutdown/suspend command, so that I can save battery life? I'll ask
> > questions on the handhelds-hx4700-port mailing list too, but I need to
> know
> > how buttons are managed in OM before I ask them how to achieve this !
>
> Doesn't it work when you press the power button for a long time?
> OpenEmbedded already had a patch to neod to do that:
>
> http://www.openembedded.org/repo/org.openembedded.dev/packages/openmoko2/neod_svn.bb
>
> http://www.openembedded.org/repo/org.openembedded.dev/packages/openmoko2/neod/ipaq.patch
> and since revision 3348 it is contained in upstream neod.

Oh yeah sorry, I did not push long enough :)
The menu shows up, but nothing happens when I hit "shutdown".
update: after a few seconds I get an openmoko splash screen with a scolling
bar, that scolls, stop, and nothing more !
update2: after more time I get some kernel console messages saying "tmpfs is
busy"
update3: nothing happens after this. The kernel+his console are still alive,
and no shutdown occurs.
This item is for the hx4700 mailing list, I think.

> Ah, last problem (and a minor one), at boot up I see on the fb console
> that
> > some jffs2 mount operation is not happy with my flash (of course, it's
> full
> > of wince and not jffs2 :) ) . I guess this is an init script trying to
> mount
> > some inexistent partition. Can I disable this?
> > Here is the "screenshoot": http://www.yaronet.com/mirari/1RMS
> > Cowardly refusing to erase blocks... fine, I didn't loose my wince image
> :D
>
> Try removing the line containing jffs2 from /etc/fstab.

Ah thanks, it was trying to mount mtdblock3 /home . No more jffs2 warnings.

regards
> Philipp

I'll try usb networking this week end.