R: CAD files for the case of the Neo will be made available

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:01:08 CET 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 2:47 AM, Michele Manzato <michele.manzato at verona.miz.it> wrote:
> Having used it for some time, my impression is that Blender is a 3d modeler
> which is very much focussed on rendering, while other aspects of 3d design
> are weak (e.g. keeping control over measurement - no quotation lines).
>
> The user interface is unconventional, it is based on a coordinated use of
> keyboard + mouse takes some time to get used to - actually, I was never able
> to master it properly.
>
> If one wants to do serious CAM then one is better off with something else.
> Or perhaps export from blender e.g. to autocad. But it is perfectly ok to
> test conceptual designs.

That was my impression of blender too; I figured a real CAD package
would be better, but there were no good options last time I looked.
BRLCAD wasn't completely free - you had to send a physical letter to
whatever gov't department that was, to state that you are a US
citizen, and promise not to export the software, or something like
that.  It's good if one can just download and use it now.  I will have
to try it.  I have some experience with Autocad but it was a long time
ago (version 10 mostly), and it's so expensive to get a modern
version.  I'd like to try SolidWorks too, but that's even worse - it's
not affordable at all unless you make your living with it.