digital compass modules

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Wed Jan 23 19:41:49 CET 2008

Am Mi  23. Januar 2008 schrieb Tilman Baumann:
> François TOURDE wrote:

> > Maybe the 3D accels can do that. And the GPS can be used as a bearing
> > indicator, when you move. No magnetic device needed in this case.
As stated in prev posting, GPS _can_not_ deliver bearing of device at all.
Imagine having the GTA in your pocket while moving - there's not the faintest
relation between movement vector as seen by GPS and bearing of GTA.

> Gyroscopes is what you look for. ;)
> Accelerameters don't see rotational movings.
Though gyro won't help here at all, i think TWO 3D-accelerometers placed some
distance from each other in a system make a nice gyro with the aid of some
mathematics in driver. IIRC there was mentioned more than one acc-meter for
the GTA. I thought that's exactly for this purpose.

jOERG