digital compass modules

François TOURDE fr-om at tourde.org
Wed Jan 23 23:08:59 CET 2008

Le 13901ième jour après Epoch,
Tilman Baumann écrivait:

> François TOURDE wrote:
>> Le 13901ième jour après Epoch,
>> Schmidt András écrivait:

>>> I was thinking about two possible applications:
>>>
>>>   1. The map of a GPS map viewer application turns when you turn the
>>>      machine so it is always aligned with the environment (this feature
>>>      is included on some GPS tools.)
>>
>> Maybe the 3D accels can do that. And the GPS can be used as a bearing
>> indicator, when you move. No magnetic device needed in this case.
>
> Gyroscopes is what you look for. ;)

Yes, but it's not (yet?) included in the phone :) ... But accels are.

> Accelerameters don't see rotational movings.

Except if this is 3D accels. If we omit the case of a rotation around
the accels center (and we can because there is 2 accels), a rotation
can be measured using this kind of devices.

I imagine it's not so easy, but I think it's possible... with my poor
knowledges in physics :)