digital compass modules

Mikael Lammentausta mikael.lammentausta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 07:33:36 CET 2008

The Nokia 5140 has a compass that works in the conventional method, by
reading the Earth's magnetic field vectors.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4144100

See the user guides, which are made with Flash... :o

Here is a page in Finnish with more information about the compass .. sorry,
couldn't find this in English.
http://www.nokia.fi/A4312238

A quick translation:

*Nokia 5140i -electronic compass technologies:
*

   - 2D sensor with a GUI
   - detects the horizontal x and y vectors of the Earth's magnetic field
   - tilt indicator (air bubble)

*Compass function:*

   - Electronics:
      - Driver & control interface detector (?) = magnetometer
      - Test circuit = continuous magnetic field generator
      - Software:
      - Compass with a needle + angle in degrees
      - Direction on-screen arrow
      - Direction may be set on a landmark and followed, and the
      offset from North may be entered
      - 1 degree precision
      - Mechanics
      - tilt detection