France : Taxes for video and mp3 playing capacity

Schmidt András asch at freemail.hu
Fri Jan 25 01:18:21 CET 2008

Richard Reichenbacher wrote:
> No direspect or anything but that's probably the dumbest tax I've ever
> heard of.

In Hungary there is tax on every _empty_ Compact Disc and DVD. The
concept is that you will store warez mp3 on them. So when I archive my
personal photos or software projects I pay tax for the recording companies.
I don't know the current state but there was rumour about extending the
tax on all storage devices (including hard disks and flash pen drives).
Inside the EU it is legal to import gadget from any country from inside
the EU without paying taxes. So these devices can be bought in the
surrounding countries cheaper.

You can disrespect it. It is a really dumb kind of tax :-).
US people may say it is stupid, but at least there are no software
patents here yet :-).

SA