France : Taxes for video and mp3 playing capacity

Stefano Cavallari stefano at cavallari.cjb.net
Fri Jan 25 12:57:05 CET 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 01:00:06 Fabian Olesen wrote:
> this will not work in denmark, because the phone will be deemed "capable"
> of doing it.
Why?
The phone itself isn't capable to play anything until you add the software. It
has a stereo audio circuitry, but it could be used just to listen and record
calls and VoIP.
I'd like FIC to sell mp3 software including in the cost the license to play
mp3, along adding a notice (for the countries which need it) that the phone
isn't licensed to play music and that if needed the support must be bought
later.

I remember Apple selling support for 802.11n for some of their MacBooks (which
is *just* software).
So you can say that hardware isn't capable of something until you add the
software IMHO.