GPS/Cell phone patent issue

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Sat Jan 26 00:17:49 CET 2008

> Hmm... The patent purports to cover getting *any* information based on
> where you are, including maps. So unless all the map information or
> whatever information you need can fit on your phone you are not
> interested in it? I guess you better wait for some *really* big flash
> memory chips. :)
The maps ARE "on board" for all common GPS car navis ("really big" 256MB-flash
card e.g.). When i need to download e.g. a new country, because traveling
from Germany to Spain, this info isn't based on sending my actual
GPS-position to a database. So their "patent" is not applicable anyway.
The so called "off board" solutions, where you have to pay for each route or a
monthly fee, night be affected, but i don't mind. It's the provider who has
to pay in this case.