GPS/Cell phone patent issue

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 02:14:44 CET 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 5:42 PM, hank williams <hank777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, since you seem to have missed it. The thing that you say no one
> will opt for (over the air maps), is the way that millions of phones
> per month are shipped from Apple and RIM today. Therefore the
> configuration is highly relevant to the *current* phone market.

The point that you are missing is that Openmoko doesn't have to do
everything the same way Apple and RIM do them; better to weight the
pros and cons on their technical merits.  You seem to be in an
argumentative mood.

IMO to have map data instantly accessible from Flash without having to
go out over the network is wonderful, and 256 megs is a small price to
pay for it.  Of course, we'll see if anybody manages to get the OSM
dataset actually compressed down that small.  planet.osm.bz2 is
several gigs, but navit is claiming to have a much more compact binary
format.  Or you could just carry data for areas where you might be
likely to actually travel.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Planet.osm