Wanted: beta testers for QuantumSTEP on the Neo GTA01

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Wed Jan 30 10:39:27 CET 2008

Hi all,
we are now looking for beta (well, it is more "alpha") testers for
the new Cocoa/GNUstep/X11 based GUI stack and SDK for the Neo.

Requirements:

a) you own a GTA01b4 (we need to install a special kernel version),
b) have a Mac with at least MacOS X 10.4,
c) have (some) experience in Xcode, Interface Builder and Cocoa,
d) are interested in trying this alternate system (meaning alternate
to OpenMoko, Qtopia, Android, iPhone SDK) and giving feedback.

Our aim:

The software is not yet ready for real beta testing, since many
mostly implemented features are not yet working (e.g. nil phone
functionality) or still have (very) rough edges. It is more about the
general concept and we are interested in your experiences, comments,
hints and directions for further improvements to make it what the
iPhone SDK probably will not be.

What is working:

* launching of applications (you can write or port your own code
using C, Obj-C, Xcode and Interface Builder!)
* Bluetooth scanning
* some demo apps (Polygons, Sudoku, ...)
* Stop Watch
* RPN Calulator (like an HP15C)
* Chess (only the GUI - the interface to the GNUchess engine is missing)
* Morse decoder (by tapping on the screen...)
* Color and Font manager panels
* some more...

Next Steps:

If you are interested, please send me a mail and I will provide you
instructions where to download and how to install.

More Info:

http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=About
http://www.quantum-step.com/swi/showdetail.php?app=4423

You are also invited to subscribe to the public announcements and
discussion mailing lists:

http://groups.google.de/group/com-quantumstep-announce
http://groups.google.de/group/quantumstep-discuss

Thank you very much,