Power Management on Neo1973

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:46:08 CET 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 2:18 PM, Tore Dalaker <tore at dalaker.com> wrote:
> WARNING: Developers only!
>
> Please note that the OpenMoko products are not meant for the end user and
> explicitly marked as Developer preview at this time. Read this wiki article
> to find more technical details of what you can and cannot expect of these
> devices.
>
>  I have been warned!

I see that warning as being about the current state of the software
mostly.  My expectation is that if this sort of show-stopper issue can
be fixed in software, then it will be, ASAP (and hopefully before the
hardware becomes too outdated).  So far it's still just a software
problem, right?  so I still have some hope that it will be fixed.  I
hope the official team does too, and I would like to see a priority
placed on this power-management stuff.  The remaining flaws can mostly
be worked around (except for that unfortunate GSM 850 problem, for
some people), but not this one.  If it can't survive even one or two
days on one battery, it's not useful as a phone, and consequently not
too many are going to be carrying it around and using it, and
consequently the apps being developed will suffer.

Are we depending on the internal team to fix it?  Is anybody in the
community making progress on power management?  Is it within reach to
do so?  Should I try to help?