not being able to use Skype is a big problem

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 3 03:25:23 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:06:45 -0500 "Forrest Sheng Bao" <forrest.bao at gmail.com>
babbled:

> Hey guys,
>
> I think not being about to use Skype on Neo is a big disadvantage. I don't
> have a cell phone. I contact the world thru Internet solely, including
> watching TV series or telephone calls. I think OPenMoko is opener than
> Nokia's Meamo project. But one can use Skype on Nokia N810. Will OpenMoko
> consider asking Skype to develop the client for Neo?

you do know nokia PAID skype significant money to develop skype for the n8xx?
skype is not open. i would say OM has no intent to go pay money for someone
else to develop a CLOSED piece of software for openmoko. OM is all about being
open. skype is not all about being open. they just don't mix. if you want to
somehow reverse-engineer skype's protocol details and write your own - feel
free. also if you wish to somehow make the skype binaries for the n8xx work on
OM - feel free to work at it and release your work, but OM, i seriously doubt,
is going to lay down good money for a closed piece of software when there are
plenty of open alternatives. :)