not being able to use Skype is a big problem

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 3 05:07:53 CEST 2008

<forrest.bao at gmail.com>
> babbled:
>
> they both use ARM. freerunner is armv4, n8xx is armv5. (think of it like a
> pentium vs pentium-mmx - it has extra instructions in v5 compared to v4, but
> the vast majority of the core is the same). it can be run.. if you are lucky
> that the compiled binary doesn't use them. you can always write binary shims
> interface binaries to existing libraries and system. you can manually
hex-edit
> the binary and replace the armv4 instructions with v4 ones (insert etc).
> hacking a binary is not something that hasn't been done before. it's been
done
> so many times there are many people who think of it as an art form... it
just
> may be a LOT of work.

Forget about editing skype-binaries - they're encrypted (p.8) and
hashsum-checked (p.14 of [1]).
I tried to edit a simple alsa-device definition :-(, then some months later
I've seen this:
[1]<http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-europe-06/bh-eu-06-biondi/bh-eu-06-biondi-up.pdf>

Should cure any interest in skype :D
also see p.64 & p.114