How Slow Is Fast?

Knight Walker moko at kobran.org
Thu Jul 3 08:21:50 CEST 2008

Anyone who has paid attention to this mailing list over the last few
months has seen the "It doesn't have 3G, it's worthless" messages about
the FreeRunner. For me (And many, many others) having a fast,
power-hungry wireless pipe to the phone isn't as important as everything
else the FreeRunner brings to the table. But I do have a question: What
kind of thru-put can we expect to see from the GPRS radio in the
FreeRunner? Is it 2k/sec dial-up speed? I'm interested in any
information about this radio, theoretical as well as experiential (Now
that people are getting FreeRunners). I've got some grand plans in the
works, which may or may not ever come to fruition, but some of the
design considerations hinge on what kind of bandwidth the GPRS radio
provides.

Also, and I know this has been talked about before, but is the final
word that the GPRS can or cannot be active at the same time as the GSM
(Class B or whatever it's called)? An ongoing GPRS connection would be
really nice but if it can suspend/resume decently (Something like v.92
on modems if anyone remembers those).

-KW