not being able to use Skype is a big problem

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 10:15:47 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> Am Do  3. Juli 2008 schrieb Greg Bonett:
>> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>>> ...there are plenty of open alternatives. :)
>> On that note, has anyone been able to run any open voip software running
>> on the FR?
>
> You might try to crosscompile twinklephone.com. When stripping out (by
> make-option) the KDE and QT stuff, and building a mere cmdline version, it
> should be pretty platform independent. commenting out the libboost-regex
> stuff will save you a lot of cumbersome library porting (heard building the
> whole Boost lib takes a scary xGB of diskspace :-o ) - I think it's only
> needed for the number-converting function, which you can easily live without
> for the first.

linphone is probably easier. It is in OE and has been reported working
on ARM before. The GTK GUI is fairly minimal and may be usable without
modification. The CLI version has hooks for adding a UI. I gave it a
quick try the other day using mokomakefile (make build-package-linphone)
and it builds and installs via opkg but fails at runtime with a library
issue. I think this is because the old 1.6 version of linphone in OE
doesn't work with the more recent libosip2. I'll have a go at updating
it to a current version, but I've not used bitbake before.

Someone at digium was working on an IAX client in his spare time too.
I'll have to make enquiries as I would love to test it.